Monday, May 16, 2011

Being Present in January

This post is the second in a string of posts that I will be writing to make up for my delinquent curation of this blog. That's why I'm talking about January and February in May.
Youth Club friends ~ with permission
After the deluge of awesome that was 2010, I was eager to get 2011 under way but it was a bit slow in starting. Most of the programs I'm involved with didn't start back until the second or third week of January. Not wanting to sit around the Skegoneill house whilst twiddling my thumbs, I set out to see Belfast in all it's wintry glory. Our house is just a 15 - 20 minute walk from the city center so I took daily walks down, drank more coffee than any one person should, and dandered around the city and surrounding neighborhoods. Belfast is a great city to walk. I was also able to spend a fair amount of time in Tiger's Bay with the kids from youth club just chatting or kicking a football around. I didn't realize then but I can see now that those afternoons of unplanned hanging out in the park or the cafe at the Grove Leisure Centre were as important as any of the scheduled youth club events. One thing I enjoy about the YAV program is the attention put on the importance of simply being present with people. That is to say, you don't always have to be doing something to be engaging in the work of building community. Simply by showing up you're making the statement that "You are worth my time." I've been blessed this year to be in a position to make that statement to the kids of Tiger's Bay.

Like everywhere else, some kids in the Bay come from great homes and supportive families and some don't. Some kids there will have loads of opportunities and will be given access to quality educations and careers but some will not. Some kids will break the cycle of despair and disadvantage and some will begin the cycle for coming generations. Regardless of what they will become, they are only just now being shaped. When you support the YAV program, you're supporting one more positive voice for kids in places like Tiger's Bay. You're sending one more person to tell them that God wants to use them in ways they can't yet imagine. You're supplying another pair of hands for them to hold. One more kind smile when it's needed the most. Thank you for the support you've given so far. I'm so grateful for all those who have contributed, but there is still a ways to go and any support you could give is greatly appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment